Last night at my yoga class, the instructor was trying to inspire us to focus by kindly reminding us that holiday feasting is now coming to an end. She threatened that if we didn’t work harder, we soon would all pop out of our Capri pants. I have to admit, it is really hard to fit in a good workout when you have family and friends visiting and (if you’re like me) are happily overindulging in rich foods and treats (I love shortbread). I suppose this is why so many people make New Year’s resolutions to be healthy and start working out.
Although many people don’t realize it, when you purchase gym memberships or classes for karate or dance, you are most likely entering a type of contract called a continuing services contract. Consumer Protection BC is responsible for some parts of these consumer contracts.
Some things you may want to know about continuing services contracts:
- You have 10 days to cancel your contract.
- If you decide to cancel, make sure to cancel the way the contract requires you to which is usually in person, by registered mail, or by fax.
- You can’t be locked into a membership that is longer than two years although it may roll over month to month automatically so make sure you know when your agreement ends.
- You have the ability to cancel under very specific circumstances such as for medical reasons or if you move more than 30km away from the facility and are not offered services in the area you have moved to.
- Most importantly, always read the fine print of any contract.
There are a lot of great gyms and classes out there. It is a good idea to check out and be comfortable with the facility or fitness lessons you are purchasing before you buy them. The laws we are responsible for don’t address quality of service or other business issues so make sure that you are making an informed decision before signing your contract.
There is a lot to know about these types of contracts. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us. If you would like to learn more about how to cancel your gym membership, visit our consumer help section of our website.
Enjoy your workout!