Taking the plunge and starting an exercise routine is often seen as only half the battle. Here are some tips to help you stick to your new exercise routine.
6 tips to help you stick with an exercise routine
- Make it a habit. Try to exercise at the same time. Linking exercising with other habits like changing after work or eating a snack can make it easier to stay committed.
- Set clear goals. Whether it’s losing weight, gaining muscle, increasing stamina, or overall fitness, make sure your goals are specific, measurable, and attainable.
- Listen to your body. One of the best ways to stick with an exercise routine is by taking care of your other bodily needs. Make sure to get good sleep, eat well, drink lots of water, and rest often.
- Exercise with a buddy. Whether it’s a friend, a pet, or a coach, having a companion on your fitness journey can help you stay motivated and keep you accountable.
- Try new things. Switch up what you do every now and then. Trying new sports or activities is a great way to make new friends and learn new skills. This also stops exercising from getting stale and will keep you engaged.
- Make it fun! Do the types of exercise you enjoy the most, and reward yourself! If you make exercising fun, you’ll be more likely to stick with it.
Your gym membership cancellation rights
When you enter into a contract that is ongoing and physical in nature, you might be entering what’s called a “continuing services contract”. The contracts are regulated by us and entitle you to certain cancellation and refund rights under BC law.
So, if your fitness journey includes a gym or yoga membership, dance classes or kickboxing lessons, you may be interested in brushing up on the rules these businesses have to follow in BC. Learn about your fitness contract rights in BC on our consumer help page.
Where to go for more information
If you’re looking for exercise advice, we’re not the ones to speak to (no surprise there!). However, if you’re dealing with an issue with your gym or fitness studio, we suggest you try working with them directly to reach a solution.
If you can’t resolve the issue with your gym, visit our consumer help page to learn about your fitness contract rights in BC. If the issue is captured under our laws, use our self-help tools to assist you. Questions? Feel free to ask them in the comment section below.
Did you like this post? You might like these posts too!
6 tips to help you choose a gym
Work out the details of your gym contract before signing!
If you have a gym membership check out this blog
Can I change my mind about my fitness membership?
About Consumer Protection BC
We are responsible for regulating specific sectors and certain consumer transactions in British Columbia. If your concern is captured under the laws we enforce, we will use the tools at our disposal to assist you. If we can’t help you directly, we will be happy to provide you with as much information as possible. Depending on your concern, another organization may be the ones to speak to; other times, court or legal assistance may be the best option. Explore our website at www.consumerprotectionbc.ca.