Meal kits are becoming increasingly popular. If you’re thinking of signing up for one, here’s a few things you’ll want to consider before you commit.
What’s a meal kit service?
A meal kit is a subscription service where a company sends you weekly pre-portioned ingredients and recipes to make home-cooked meals. It can be an easy way to make delicious meals without stepping foot in a grocery store or struggling with indecision around what to cook.
5 things to consider before you sign up
- Will it accommodate your dietary needs? Some of these services offer a variety of meals for all types of dietary needs (gluten free, vegan, vegetarian). Others are more limited. Decide on one that fits best with your preferences or allergies.
- What’s the most cost-effective option? Make sure to browse around and find the service that offers the most affordable plans. What are the portions like? What does each meal end up costing? If you’ve decided on a service, consider choosing the meals with the most valuable ingredients so you’re getting the best bang for your buck.
- When are the deadlines? Many of these services offer flexible subscriptions that allow you to pause the membership and skip whichever weeks you want. These services also offer deadlines for picking out which meals you want delivered – if you miss it, they’ll choose the meals for you. These services will usually send reminder emails for an upcoming deadline, but just in case, you may want to find out when the deadlines are and set a weekly reminder in your calendar.
- Where do you want it delivered? Many of these services provide cooler bags with ice packs to keep the food cool if it’s delivered when you’re not home. However, depending on where you live and your schedule, it may make more sense to get it delivered to your work. Make the decision that makes the most sense for you.
- How does cancellation work? Find out how to cancel your subscription entirely. Make sure you know how much notice you have to give (if any) and make sure you understand how to do it properly.
Do you have any tips when it comes to signing up for a meal kit service? Please share them in the comments below.
Did you like this? You might like these posts too!
About Consumer Protection BC
We are responsible for regulating specific industries and certain consumer transactions in British Columbia. If your concern is captured under the laws we enforce, we will use the tools at our disposal to assist you. If we can’t help you directly, we will be happy to provide you with as much information as possible. Depending on your concern, another organization may be the ones to speak to; other times, court or legal assistance may be the best option. Explore our website at www.consumerprotectionbc.ca.