As part of our Q&A series, we are sharing some of the consumer questions we get on our blog and our answers, including some key takeaways. Recently, we were asked what can be done if a contractor causes damage during a home renovation. Here’s what we had to say.

Q. I had a contractor doing some renovations and he blew one of the breakers by plugging the saw and compressor in one receptacle. Now the contractor is saying he is not responsible to get it fixed and that a homeowner is responsible to provide adequate power. What are your thoughts?

A. Hello and thank you for contacting us. The first step we would suggest is to talk to the contractor directly and attempt to reach a reasonable solution. Since the work has begun and you would be seeking compensation for the damage to the breaker, we aren’t able to assist you under the laws we oversee. If you are not able to resolve the issue with the contractor directly, the next step would be to take the issue to court. You can check out the online-based Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT) if your loss is under $5,000. However, if your claim amount is greater than $5,000, then you may want to look into small claims court. Best of luck to you!

Key takeaway 

Always try to work out the issue with the contractor/business directly. If the issue can’t be ironed out, you can use CRT’s Solution Explorer tool which asks simple questions about your dispute. It gives you free legal information and tools based on your answers.

Did you like this? You might like these posts too!

Consumer Question: how can I tell if a contractor is legit?
Don’t buy into a home renovation scam!
Doing a reno? Don’t forget these contract details
Contract deposits: are there limits?

About Consumer Protection BC

We are responsible for regulating specific industries and certain consumer transactions in British Columbia. If your concern is captured under the laws we enforce, we will use the tools at our disposal to assist you. If we can’t help you directly, we will be happy to provide you with as much information as possible. Depending on your concern, another organization may be the ones to speak to; other times, court or legal assistance may be the best option. Explore our website at