We license and oversee the behaviour of debt collection agencies and debt collectors. Getting collection calls can be stressful and you have rights. The law speaks to when a collector can contact you and how they can communicate with you. Please remember that debt collectors are allowed to contact you about the debts you owe, and that your debt has not gone away just because they are no longer calling you.
The law that covers the behaviour of debt collection agencies and debt collectors can affect both an individual and a business; the law applies to both.
Links to external resources:
- Dealing with debts (from People’s Law School)
- Options for getting out of debts (from People’s Law School)
- When you can’t pay your debts (from Dial-A-Law, a service of People’s Law School)
- Consumed by debt? Information for consumer on the insolvency process (from the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy Canada)
- Foreclosure (from Dial-A-Law, a service of People’s Law School)
- Missed mortgage payments find out if you can keep your home (from the Legal Services Society)