Are you getting debt collection calls?
We know that dealing with debt can be incredibly stressful. In BC, you have rights when it comes to debt collection. Explore this page to learn your rights and access tools and resources to help you on your debt journey.
We are responsible for enforcing the province’s debt collection laws. We can’t help with every debt-related issue but we’ve put this information together to point you in the right direction.
The law in BC speaks to when a collector can contact you and how they can communicate with you.
- How to get the calls to stop
- What to do if it’s not your debt
- The rules debt collectors must follow in BC
- How debt impacts your credit report
If you’re looking for support while paying down debt, there several different options to explore.
- 4 ways to manage debt
- Debt relief: credit counsellors vs debt repayment agents
- 8 tips for choosing a debt relief service
Paying off debt is an important first step to feel in control of your money. Once you’re able, here are some tips to help you plan for the future and avoid taking on additional debt.
- 3 simple steps to create a budget
- How to save for a rainy day
- How to prepare for rising interest rates