Run into an issue regarding your strata? While this issue is outside of our authority, we’ve gathered some information from the Government of BC about your options and who to talk to when it comes to strata issues.

About “Who do I talk to…” blog posts

We get questions from consumers on a variety of topics. When an issue falls outside of our authority, we will happily offer a referral if there is an organization that is better equipped to help you. These blog posts are to help shed light on who might be best suited to talk to about your unique issue.

Issue with your strata? Not sure where to go next? Here are three options for you

If you run into a problem with your strata, there are three ways you can resolve it:

1. Resolve the dispute within your strata

You can resolve issues within your strata corporation. You can find more detailed information online about the different processes and how to go about it (ex. informal, requesting a strata council meeting, voluntary dispute resolution, etc.). 

2. Contact the Civil Resolution Tribunal

The Civil Resolution Tribunal can help you try to resolve small claims disputes under $5,000 and strata (condominium) disputes of any amount. For more information on the specifics of either of these types of disputes, visit the jurisdiction page on the CRT’s website or check out the blog post we wrote about what you can expect from the CRT.

  • Where to go for more information: If you have any questions about the CRT, visit their website. They have a lot of information available. If you still can’t find what you’re looking for, you may be interested in contacting the CRT directly.

3. Consider getting legal advice

If you cannot resolve your strata issue outside of court, you may be interested in getting legal advice. While we are not in a position to offer legal advice, the BC Lawyer Referral Service allows you to chat with a lawyer for up to 30 minutes for a fee of $25 (plus tax) on a single issue.

Still have questions?

Strata issues are not something our office has any authority over, that’s why we offered some referrals above. If you still have questions, you may be interested in visiting this page with some additional resources, contacting the CRT directly, or seeking legal advice.


Resolving small claims strata disputes online: what to expect from the CRT
How to write a letter to your MLA
Renting with pets in BC: what are the rules?

About Consumer Protection BC

We are responsible for regulating specific industries and certain consumer transactions in British Columbia. If your concern is captured under the laws we enforce, we will use the tools at our disposal to assist you. If we can’t help you directly, we will be happy to provide you with as much information as possible. Depending on your concern, another organization may be the ones to speak to; other times, court or legal assistance may be the best option. Explore our website at