If you’re planning on bringing a vehicle from another province to BC, there are some important things to know. With information from ICBC, here’s what you’ll need to do.

What to know about bringing a vehicle to BC from another province

If you’re bringing a vehicle from another province or territory, before the vehicle can be registered, licensed, and insured in BC, you’ll need to bring these documents to an Autoplan broker:

  • the vehicle’s current registration
  • the Certificate of Title if your vehicle is from Nova Scotia
  • a “passed” vehicle inspection report* from a designated inspection facility in BC
  • required ID
  • a signed and dated bill of sale, if the vehicle is not registered in your name. (Sometimes a vehicle registration document, signed by the registered owner of the vehicle and naming you as the new owner, is acceptable instead.)

For more information, check out ICBC’s Checklist for Out-of-Province Vehicle Registration.

*Safety inspection exemptions

If you’re bringing a vehicle from Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba, qualified privately owned or leased vehicles may be exempt from the BC pre-registration safety inspection. Check out the ICBC website for more information on eligibility.

Did you like this? You might like these posts too!

What to consider when your car lease is ending
Dear Consumer Protection BC: vehicle questions
Buying or leasing a car – what’s right for you?
Can you spot a shady used car deal?

About Consumer Protection BC

We are responsible for regulating specific industries and certain consumer transactions in British Columbia. If your concern is captured under the laws we enforce, we will use the tools at our disposal to assist you. If we can’t help you directly, we will be happy to provide you with as much information as possible. Depending on your concern, another organization may be the ones to speak to; other times, court or legal assistance may be the best option. Explore our website at www.consumerprotectionbc.ca.