Debt Collection Complaints

Was this information useful?
+ Yes
+ No

Consumer Protection BC can assist you with the following:

·         How to request communication in writing only
·         How to request communication be done through your lawyer
·         How to dispute a debt
·         How to stop the calls because you are not the debtor
·         Other collection agency complaints (click here)

To resolve these issues, you must take the following steps:

1. Contact the Collection Agency In Writing 
The first step to take is to contact the collection agency in writing to let them know what your concerns are. You can visit our debt collection forms page to download a form. 

2. Keep A Copy of Your Request
Be sure to send the letter or form in a way that proves your request was sent and received, such as a registered letter, email, or fax. Keep a copy of the letter for yourself as well as proof that the letter was received by the collection agency.

3. Give the Collection Agency Time to Fix the Problem
It may take a few days for the collection agency to remove your phone number from their system. Allow four to five days after sending your request for the behavior to stop.

4. Let Us Know If the Behaviour Continues After Following the Above Steps

If you have followed the steps above and the behavior of the debt collector continues, you can fill out a Debt Collection Complaint Form on our forms page and submit it to us by mail, fax, or email. Please include a copy of the information sent in step two.

Other Complaints About Collection Agencies
We may be able to assist you with other complaints about collection agencies where the collector:

  •  Was threatening and/or intimidating
  •   Was using excessive pressure
  •  Published or is threatening to publish your inability to pay
  •  Will not send details of the debt upon request
  • Will not disclose his/her identity
  • called you at work, more than once after you provided your home contact information
  •  Has called your  family member, friend or acquaintance and has asked for information other than your home address, phone number or email address and you have not authorized the collector or creditor to do so.
  •  Has called you before 7 am or after 9 pm Monday to Saturday, or before 1 pm or after 5pm on a Sunday, or on a statutory holiday
  •   Is attempting to collect more than you owe
  •  Is attempting to collect without a proper license
  •   Was asking you to send the money by a method that includes charges to you, i.e. wire transfers, etc
  • Talked to your employer without your permission, unless to confirm your employment, after notifying you of legal proceedings.

If you have a complaint about any of these issues, you can complete our complaint form online.  We will require documentation to support your complaint. This could include a picture of your phone showing what time the collector called, a taped phone conversation, a letter from your employer or co-worker confirming contact at work, or any other information you may have.