Resources For BC Travellers: Natural Disasters

Was this information useful?
+ Yes
+ No

We have gathered the following information to assist BC consumers if they are traveling to or have a loved one in a country which has experienced a natural disaster.

Where to Find Information:

The Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada website offers up to date information to on Canada's response to natural disasters. Pages such as the one dedicated to the earthquake in Japan on March 11, 2011 include information for Canadians such as travel reports and assistance for Canadians in the country in question.

Registration of Canadians Travelling Abroad:

All Canadians travelling or living abroad should register with the Canadian government.  The Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA) is a free service that enables you to sign up and be contacted and assisted by government officials in case of an emergency abroad, such as a natural disaster or civil unrest, or informed about an emergency at home.

Consumer Protection BC is a not-for-profit corporation that was created to strengthen consumer protection in BC and enforce consumer protection laws. We balance the interests of all parties to promote a marketplace that is fair for both BC consumers and businesses. We license and inspect specific industries, respond to inquiries through our Inquiry Centre, investigate alleged violations of consumer protection laws, and educate consumers and businesses about their rights and responsibilities under the law.  For more information about our organization, please visit our corporate website at

Follow Consumer Protection BC on Twitter @ConsumerProBC or  like us on Facebook and read our blog.