Though we do not oversee financial institutions here is some information and resources on the topic.

It’s always a good idea to try and deal with the issue directly with the business first. Most of the time financial institutions will have their own ombudsperson, so if you aren’t able to fix the problem with the bank, this might be a good place to start.

If you are unable to deal with the issue directly with the financial institution and it’s a federal financial institution you can contact the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC).

If the issue is with a provincial financial institution, mortgage brokers and insurance companies you can contact the BC Financial Services Authority (BCFSA).

Learn how to complain directly to your financial institution.
Visit FCAC’s website for help with federal financial institutions.
Visit BCFSA’s website for help with provincial financial institutions, mortgage brokers and insurance companies.

Read our consumer tips: