Make the Right Call On Phone Fraud
Fraudulent telemarketing continues to be a growing, and serious problem in North America. Legitimate operations are increasingly becoming tainted by the rise in fictitious schemes. Scam artists prey on unsuspecting individuals, especially those who are lonely and welcome the opportunity to speak with someone over the phone.
If you no longer wish to have telemarketing calls to your telephone, sign up with the National Do Not Contact List. For more information click here.
The following tips will help individuals to protect themselves from becoming victims of phone solicitation fraud:
- Be cautious of anyone offering cash or prizes in exchange for buying goods, taking trips or sending money. If you have "won" something, you will never have to make a purchase, pay a fee, or pay for delivery.
- Don’t give out your personal details. Don’t give anyone information that will allow them to know you better.
- High pressure sales are a clue to a fraud. You should always be given time to make a decision.
- Don’t send money. Ask for the information to be sent in writing.
- Say no if you are uncertain and don’t stay on the phone.
Check It Out:
- Ask the caller for a phone number where you can call them back so you can confirm the company’s legitimacy with your local Better Business Bureau, Consumer Protection BC, or Phone Busters.
- Verify that the company is a legitimate registered charity if solicitation is for donations. All registered charities should be listed with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). An online search for legitimate charities can be done here.
- If you do decide to send money after doing your research, always write your cheque out to the agency’s name, never an individual.
Did you know?
Third party fundraisers located in BC or contacting BC residents are required to be licensed with Consumer Protection BC. To find out if a company is licensed, click here.
For more information about Consumer Protection BC, or to find out about your rights and responsibilities as a consumer or a business, browse through our website or call our Inquiry line 1-888-564-9963, toll free.