Travel Assurance Fund

Was this information useful?
+ Yes
+ No

Find out more about BC's Travel Assurance FundThe Travel Assurance Fund (TAF) provides a possible source of compensation when consumers do not receive the travel services they purchased through a BC licensed travel agent.

Claim Forms:
Consumer Travel Assurance Fund claim form [Online]
Consumer Travel Assurance Fund claim form [PDF]
BC licensed travel agent or wholesaler Travel Assurance Fund claim form [Online]
BC licensed travel agent or wholesaler Travel Assurance Fund claim form [PDF]

In order for a Travel Assurance Fund claim to be complete the following supporting documentation must be sent to Consumer Protection BC. If you are unable to provide any of the below information please provide a written explanation as to why not. IF THE BELOW INFORMATION IS NOT PROVIDED WITHIN 6 MONTHS FROM THE DATE OF LOSS, YOUR CLAIM WILL BE DENIED.

  • Proof you entered into a contract for travel services with a BC licensed travel agent (copy of itinerary, copy of contractt
  •  Proof of payment for the travel services (receipt provided by travel agent, front and back of cheque, receipt for cash payment, credit card receipt, banking statements, money order, bank draft)Proof travel services were not provided as per the contract. 
  • (Proof of alternate travel, letter from airline stating that tickets were not booked, proof of payment from wholesaler to end supplier

Please provide the following information only if you purchased travel services with a credit card:

  • Proof your credit card company is unable to reverse the charges (letter from your credit card company stating they did not reverse the charges)

Please provide the following information, only if you purchased travel insurance:

  • Proof you did not receive reimbursement through your travel insurance company (letter from your travel insurance company stating they did not provide funds) 

Our reconsideration process

Who can claim against the Travel Assurance Fund?

Consumers: May be eligible to claim if they booked travel services through a BC licensed travel agent and the travel services were not provided. Consumers must first try to obtain compensation from other sources such as their credit card provider, insurance company and travel agent.

Licensed Agents: May be eligible if they have reimbursed or provided alternate travel services at their own expense to a client who has not received travel services as a result of a business failure by a supplier.

Licensed Travel Wholesalers: May be eligible if they have provided travel services to a client of a BC licensed travel agent after not receiving full payment from the BC licensed travel agent.

What is covered by the Travel Assurance Fund?

The TAF is meant to compensate the person who paid for the travel services that were not provided. The TAF only reimburses up to the cost of the original contracted services, and does not cover the cost of alternative or replacement services. The most common example involves the consumer paying a BC licensed agent for travel services that includes transportation or accommodation, and then not receiving the service because of business failure.

What is not covered?

The Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act and the Travel Industry Regulation set out the parameters relating to the Travel Assurance Fund. These are some of the items that are not covered by the TAF:

  • Gift certificates, damage deposits or unused credits;
  • Dissatisfaction with the quality of service such as poor accommodations, the occurrence of natural disasters, pandemics or bad weather, or other circumstances beyond the control of the travel supplier;
  • The TAF will not top up insurance payments related to health, baggage or trip cancellation; and
  • Claims received by the Travel Assurance Fund later than six months from the date you failed to receive the travel services.

Compensation From Other Sources

All claims must be received within six months after the date of the loss. Under the Travel Industry Regulation, Section 20(a) the Director may defer payment until the director is satisfied that the claimant has made reasonable efforts to obtain compensation from other sources including credit card issuers and/or insurance (if applicable). Your claim may not be considered for eligibility until you have provided proof that you have made reasonable efforts to obtain compensation from other available sources.

Travel agents and wholesalers located in BC are required to be licensed and are required to contribute to the Travel Assurance Fund (TAF), which is managed by Consumer Protection BC.


If you have questions about the TAF or eligibility, please contact us. You can call us toll free at 1-888-564-9963, email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or post your question on our Facebook page.