Resources & Links
The terms being used for debt-related services and the options available to consumers today can be confusing. Whether it’s called debt counselling, debt management or debt repayment, it is important for consumers to understand the difference in the services being provided. This page has some information and resources for you.
You can find out more about debt pooling and why debt poolers in BC are required to be licensed with Consumer Protection BC by reading our tip sheet on this debt solution option.
A debt management program involves a written agreement between you and the lender, with the help of an agency such as a credit counsellor. To find a credit counsellor, look in the Yellow Pages of your phone book under “credit and debt counselling".
- Alternatives to bankruptcy
- Basic information about bankruptcy
- Steps for declaring bankruptcy
- Bankruptcy mediation
Provincial Student Loan Information
- General information -declaring bankruptcy on your BC student loan
- Student Aid BC loan repayment information
Federal Student Loan Information
Taking a Debt to Court
- General information regarding court services – Ministry of the Attorney General
- British Columbia courthouse locations
- Law Society of BC
- The Canadian Bar Association – Lawyer Referral Service