Consumer Protection BC promotes a fair marketplace for BC consumers and businesses. We were established in 2004 as a not-for-profit corporation to strengthen consumer protection in BC. We operate using a cost recovery model and we are the only organization of its kind in Canada.
Consumer Protection BC's mandate is to:
- Deliver consumer protection services throughout British Columbia;
- Promote fairness and understanding in the marketplace; and
- Enforce consumer protection laws in BC.
We protect consumers and encourage fair business practices by:
- Responding to inquiries and complaints from BC consumers and businesses;
- Educating consumers and businesses about their rights and responsibilities;
- Licensing specific industries;
- Inspecting these licensed industries to ensure they are complying with BC's consumer protection laws;
- Investigating alleged violations of consumer protection laws and following up with progressive enforcement action;
- Providing film content information so the public can make informed viewing choices for themselves and their families; and
- Recommending enhancements to BC's consumer protection laws to the provincial government.